Naturally, I asked for directions on how to make this miracle snack. It couldn't be easier. Make up a seasoning ... I was eager to try and didn't have any raw soya sauce so it wasn't a completely raw foods snack, but that's easily fixed next time I'm at The Big Carrot.
Anyway, make up a seasoning: put some soya sauce and water in a bowl, dip each leaf and arrange in your dehydrator (115F of course, or else it's not considered "raw"). Come back after enough time has elasped to crisp the kale stems (about 4 hours).
The best part? Seeing my homemade snack at the grocery store in $7.00 packages (for half as many chips!) -- mine cost no more than a head of kale.
Kale benefits: '
- IN SEASON mid winter ... so the best is just around the corner!
- Cruciferous vegetables such as kale are cancer fighters: breast and ovarian, but also lung, colon and bladder
- Free-radical fighter: It's an antioxidant!
- Protect your eyes: "kale is well known for its carotenoids, especially lutein and zeaxanthin. These carotenoids act like sunglass filters and prevent damage to the eyes from excessive exposure to ultraviolet light." (from whfoods.org)
- Excellent source of vitamin A (again, good for your eyes and also your lungs)
- Vitamin C for your immune system
- Protects against Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Very good source of fibre
- Calcium, without the fat from cows' milk
- Vitamin E, for your brain!