Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Moksha!


I don't know about you, but I am a happy subscriber to "Thoughts to Keep you Moving", the blog-in-your-inbox put out by Peter Glassford and Steve Neal. On Tuesdays, they send the "workout of the week" which is a great bonus because each coach puts one in, thus providing two workouts that I don't have to come up with myself. Happy days!

This week, Peter asks that we take a yoga class. That made me realize it has been forever since I last went to yoga. And yet every season, it is a goal of mine to keep up my practice at least once a week. So with newfound determination, I plan on visiting the Moksha Yoga Studio on the Danforth. They have a ton of classes to choose from, it's close to home, and they even have a $20 introductory special that gives you a week of unlimited yoga.

(As an aside, most yoga studios in Toronto have that deal so I figure if I just go to a different one each week, I'll save a ton of cash and do a ton of yoga! haha.)

The other thing I like about Moksha is that it is HOT. Meaning they jack the temperature up to about 37 degrees to allow you to get deep into your stretches. Plus when it's that hot, I find it is much easier to focus on breathing and my practice. And it helps get rid of the toxins in your body by sweating them out. Don't settle for mediocre heat! I used to be a member at Extreme Fitness and they promised a hot yoga practice, but when I went, it was "warm" at most, and the poses were more active style than the long holds I'm used to in raised temperatures. In proper Hot Yoga, you should sweat. A lot.

I know being in a hot room for 90 minutes isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if you're a cyclist, (or any kind of athlete!) definitely consider hot yoga. Moksha's website says, "Many cyclists come to the studio with chronic knee pain. With time, however, hips, calves and hamstrings start to open up, knee pain diminishes and can eventually disappear entirely. Cyclists also report an improvement in low back and shoulder pain."

If there's a hot yoga studio near you, check it out. Bring your mat, a big towel to cover it, a hand towel for brow-wipes, a water bottle (and electrolyte drink if you need it!) and a headband.

They say not to eat for 2 to 3 hours before, but I find that hard to handle in the heat, so I usually just have an energy gel 15 minutes before class, and another one right after so I don't bonk. And wear clothes that you can sweat in! Lots of girls just wear shorts and sport bras and guys usually just wear shorts.

Can't wait to get back into yoga. Thanks SNPD for reminding me!




No comments:

Post a Comment